Our Project for the Summer Term is “Travel”!
This term the children will be making their own passports and jumping aboard ‘Children’s House Airways’ to journey around the globe!
The children will be packing their suitcases and visiting lots of different destinations around the world. There is so much that can be explored in this project which embraces language, costume, religions, festivals and food. This is a wonderful topic for celebrating the diversity of children but is also a theme for recognising the similarities we share with those who live around the world.
Covering all 7 areas of learning in the Early Years Foundation stage is easily achieved, with a broad range of activities that will ignite our children’s interest and imagination, whilst extending their opportunities for play and learning.
Some of the things we may look at as part of this project are:
- Sharing stories from other countries
- Inviting visitors into nursery to talk about other cultures and religions
- Looking at different national or religious costumes/head coverings
- Learning to say ‘hello’ in different languages
- Songs, dances and instruments from around the world
- Talking about festivals and celebrations from other countries such as Carnival in Brazil and Mardis Gras in New Orleans.
- Learning about (and tasting!) some of the foods that are eaten in other countries
- Making flags and looking at the patterns and colours on different national flags
We will also be looking at the different types of transport that people use to travel including cars, boats, trains, planes and even spacecraft!
There’s a whole wealth of children’s stories, songs and nursery rhymes that can be incorporated into this project. Along with airport, train station and travel-shop role play, we will provide our children with many opportunities to stimulate their imaginations and express themselves creatively. Because children enjoy these experiences so much, they aren’t even aware they are learning about numbers or developing skills
If any families have any souvenirs/photographs etc of any of the countries they have visited, we would love for you to come in and share them with us, or allow your child to share them with us during Circle Time.
Family holidays and travel can form such important childhood memories, and we hope that this project will recreate some of the excitement that going on a journey can bring!